Thursday, November 11, 2010

Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (or Day 4)

Apparently, today is a day for country song quotes. What can I say? Some of them are so patriotic... And patriotism is what it's all about today folks.




I don't know if you know this, but I'm an American history major (read: nerd). So, for people like me Veterans Day is a double whammy of awesome.


You see, Veterans Day was chosen on this particular day because it marks the end of WWI . It was originally called Armistice Day. But, armistice means "peace" and WWI was supposed to be the war to end all wars... but then WWII happened (obviously WWI didn't end all wars). So, in 1954, Congress chose to change this holiday to Veterans Day to honor the country's veterans.


Veterans Day was always pretty cool... I mean who doesn't love an extra day off work/school? And everyone loves sales! But I never had a real appreciation for it until recently. In high school, I studied female volunteers in the Vietnam War and began to understand that Veterans Day is about more than a vacation from school or going shopping. Then, I met the hubs. He is a veteran. His father is a veteran. They have shown me that veterans aren't a faceless mass (I don't think I knew any veterans until them) but real people. They are real people who have sacrificed so much for me to have the freedoms that I usually take for granted.
I will never be able to express my grattitude in the right way. Veterans should be thanked and honored more than this one day in November, but today is a great reminder to say thanks for all they have done.





So, thanks to any and all veterans (though I doubt vets read this blog) and also to any wives and families of veterans. And a big heartfelt thank you to active military. You are not unnoticed.





So, here is my subtle (or not-so-subtle) nod to all the veterans and active military:

skinny jeans, red t-shirt, white grandpa sweater, black boots.

I felt a little ridiculous as the day went on... it's hot here in Alabama! The boots are a little unnecessary this afternoon.

2 comments: