Monday, June 14, 2010

Weekend Wrap Up and Weekly Weight Loss Goals

Mondays are weird.
There I said it.

I don't hate 'em, but I certainly don't love 'em. I feel like Mondays on my blog would be best spent discussing the previous weekend's activities/accomplishments/failures/whatevers and focusing on setting small weekly goals.

Have I mentioned my weekly goals thing? Probably not. Sometimes I just get carried away with my own thoughts and I forget that not everyone else is inside my head and following along. (<--- The Hubs always tells me that I'm moving the conversation too fast... that he can't hear what's going on inside my head, so he thinks we're talking about one thing and I've moved on to another subject entirely... and it's true.)

As for the first part of the title, my weekend sucked. I mean I had a really really good weekend working and spending time with the hubs and my family celebrating Father's Day early, but I messed up so badly so often. And I let it bleed into my Monday (helloooo sausage biscuit breakfast!)... I just need to keep reminding myself not to let these slip ups ruin the rest of the journey as usual. I can't quit now just because I've had an incredibly delicious unhealthy (and pretty lazy) weekend.

Back to my weekly goals thing... because I am attempting to alter my way of life instead of simply dieting, I've decided to set small (hopefully) manageable goals for myself each week. In theory, they'll all pile up on each other and change my eating habits and ideas about food etc. Or at least, that's how I'm hoping it'll work. [Or maybe, I'll find a diet that works for me and want to do that instead. But, I'm not going to waste time while I'm looking for a plan that suits me.]

So, without wasting more of your precious time...

My goal for this week:
  • Drink more water. I never claimed it would be an exciting goal. I'm thinking more along the lines of baby steps.
I know how important water is. My body needs it to function. And it's a necessity during these scorching Alabama summers. Plus, who doesn't love clear skin?
I am a sucker for sodas. Once upon a time I loved water and Coke never even crossed my mind.... And then I got a job in a restaurant. Now, I drink way too much sugary carbonation and not nearly enough water. Earlier this year I gave up soda for Lent. It was so hard, but I actually did it (with one or two slip ups)! So I know I can live without it for awhile, but the real challenge is learning to balance my body's need for water with my love for soda. I'm a little nervous. I've never been very good at moderation (obviously).

Also, how much water is enough? I've heard a few theories: 64 ounces, half of your body weight (132.5 ounces seems like a lot of water!), 1-2 gallons. Which one is it?!?! How much do I need to drink?! I haven't even begun and I'm already getting frustrated!



Happy Father's Day!

6 comments:

  1. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/nu00283

    be sure to read both pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't "count" the glasses of water I drink each day... I just constantly drink from a glass next to my desk. Just keep it around you and you will drink! Once you get used to having a steady flow in your body, you begin to recognize the signs of dehydration (like being cranky or having a mild headache). You will also know if you are drinking enough by how much you are going to the bathroom, and what color it is (TMI???). :D

    Wanted to send you some other weight-loss blogs that you might enjoy: http://mediumbashfulpiggy.blogspot.com & http://www.whoatemyblog.com/ They are great writers and in the same boat we are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing great!!! I just totally ripped off your blog idea!!! I'd been keeping a food journal and weight chart in a 3-ring binder for about 2 weeks, but it's not as fun so I don't track like I need to. Maybe this change will help!

    As for the water, I don't count the amount of water I drink, but I always have a bottle of water beside me (get a Bubba Keg from Wal-Mart-redneck I know, but it holds a lot of water).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jennifer and Nikki! Not TMI, Jennifer. The article Jeff suggested said the same thing... And I started following those blogs earlier. I think when you wrote about them in yours.
    And Nikki, I'm so excited for you. (I totally ripped off Jennifer's blog idea!)I'll look into getting the 'bubba keg' from Wal-Mart. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so proud of you, Andrea. You're right about making small, attainable weekly goals. Gradual changes are the ones that will last. I'm praying for you DAILY!

    ReplyDelete